Saturday, April 16, 2011

Forgotten Cemetery

On my rides sometimes I go down Shannon-Wenonah Road. Along this road is an old cemetery and when I say along the road I really mean it. There are grave-markers within 10-15 feet of the road. I decided to stop on the way home from work the other day and take some pictures of the place. It kinda makes me sad to see this. It looks like it was used up until the 60's and I HOPE all the holes I saw are from loved ones being relocated and not just sunken graves, because those holes are everywhere. Sadly it seems that not everyone has been relocated yet. Hopefully the powers that be will ensure that these folks get the respect they deserve one day. Maybe I'll go out there and do a little clean up sometime. There is at least two Veteran's graves and one of my yearly projects is to go around and take care of forgotten Vet graves on Memorial Day.  I guess this place just got added to the list. If you know anything about this cemetery please post it in the comments, I would love to know more about it.


Thee are a couple of these homemade marker stones. It's a neat idea for folks who can't afford a fancy granite one.


One of the Vet's graves out in the woods, it looks like someone was removed from right next to him.


There are still some really nice stones here, someone did care about these folks at some point in the past.


Another of the homemade stones.


Yes, that is THE road right there in the back of the picture. Some graves are even closer to it.


The first view I had of this stone as I was walking around a little further into the woods. I thought this was a good representation of this forgotten resting place. Man made beauty overgrown with nature reclaiming us as her own.


Closer to the backside of this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment