Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Confederate Cemetary, Carnton Plantation, Franklin TN New Years Day

New Years weekend we went to Nashville to hang out with Ryan. Sunday before we came home we stopped at the Carnton Plantation outside Franklin. This place is hallowed ground as the final resting place of over 1,400 fallen Confederate soldiers killed during the Battle of Franklin. The house was used as a hospital to care for the fallen troops wounded nearby. There is a really interesting story surrounding this house. If you get the chance stop by take the tour and get some learnin'. In the meantime enjoy these pictures I took.


Looking down the rows from the main gate.


Another view


Each block is a soldiers grave. There is a book near the front with the names of all the known soldiers here. There are a few graves in the cemetery with regular tombstones placed by the families.


A state marker with dead flowers in front of it spoke to me. We live our lives and bloom too soon, only to die and fade away leaving good memories and tales of our deeds.


The monument to the 129 Alabama soldiers buried here.


One of the few regular grave stones. A tree grew right behind it and made a really interesting scene to me.


Another angle and camera setting.


And another.


From farther back with the house in the background. Carrie McGavock lived in that house and cared for these graves until she died in 1905.


Check out the wiki page I linked and be sure to read more about the Battle of Franklin, it was a horrible bloody battle and the brave men from both sides who fought here deserved to be remembered.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a fan. I'll be putting this on my fav. list. I really like grave stones. So ya got me with this story right off!

    ReplyDelete